Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Man, are you ever ugly!

No, not you!...I'm talking about a new vegetable that I'm planning to use in our salad for tonight's dinner.

celeriac.jpg

Celery root, also known as "celeriac", apparently has a celery-like flavor (go figure!) and is really light and refreshing. I found this (seemingly) great recipe online that I'm going to use, so I thought I'd post it on the blog for all of you (hi alysa) to try, if you're so daring.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 lb celery root - quartered, peeled, and coarsely grated just before mixing

1/2 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper


Method:
Combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice and parsley in a medium-sized bowl. Fold in the celery root and green apple chunks and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.

celery-root-salad.jpg

I should note that I don't intend on using a full 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, but will rather make a lighter dressing and allow the flavor of the celery root to come through more....I'm really interested to know what this stuff tastes like!

The next thing I'll try....Batata (first I've ever heard of it!) But I'll save that for another post.

Ciao!

No comments: