Thursday, January 18, 2007

BEWARE: this kale is addictive

This recipe is AMAZING!! Elana found it on recipezaar.com a few months ago and I have been making it almost every day since.

Kale is (in my humble opinion) the tastiest member of the cruciferous family and its health benefits are astonishing; it's high in antioxidants, calcium (15 times more than one of its rivals, spinach), magnesium, and much more. Plus, it's an excellent source of iron that your body can easily absorb. According to one of my sources, "Kale is a nutritional superstar, packed sky-high with vitamins"1.

And without further ado, here it is..


1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (any vinegar you have will do just fine)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch kale, rinsed with stems removed
salt and pepper to taste

and for a sweet twist try sprinkling splenda onto it before cooking


1) Cut kale into 2 to 3 inch pieces.
2) Mix vinegar, oil, and salt in a large bowl then add kale and mix by hand. Try to get all the leaves covered.
3) Place on baking sheets and bake at 350 F until they are crispy.
4) After about 20 minutes, if it looks like they are not sizzling a bit or getting a little crispy, turn up the heat to 400°F.
Time for baking varies depending on the size of your chips and desired crispness.



READER(S) PLEASE BE ADVISED............
I must forewarn you that if you consume 3 or more kales before bedtime do not expect a restful night's sleep!! I learnt this lesson the hard way a few weeks ago and my digestive system hasn't been the same since. I have never experienced such gastric distress and wouldn't want any of you to have to go through the agony that I did.

Good luck!

1- Greey, Madelleine Get Fresh, Toronto: Macmillan Canada, 1999, p. 139-140.
(Please excuse my poor footnote, I'm unsure of the proper format for this kind of writing)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I must forewarn you that if you consume 3 or more kales before bedtime do not expect a restful night's sleep!! I learnt this lesson the hard way...."
I definitely recognize that writing style! Thanks for the neat recipe!!! Give me a call sometime!!! We can make Kale together!!